Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Why Squid 4 U, You Ask?

My name's Kristin even though my friends call me Ichi, it's easy, simple, it sounds cool and it's mysterious...(ok not really). The first thing i can about me is I suck at jokes, but let's pretend I'm good for 5 seconds just to get passed the introduction. A little about who I am is mostly I'm an artist with a primary focus in photography along with my other loves which is writing, drawing, reading, all the lovely activities lazy people do 24/7. Mostly though, I have an obsession with squids and often I like to represent them in my work or use patterns since i relate a lot to Japanese wood block prints. From growing up in Key West and having Peter Benchley as my favorite writer... these things create the strangest fascinations.

On a serious note, I enjoyed the first class. Not just for our professor using bad language (whoo!), but the conversation we had about the definition of multimedia. Now I may sound completely stupid for saying this, but I originally grew up thinking multimedia was completely electronic based. Instead, it’s beyond that and really about a sense of evolution. As an artist, sometimes you forget that complex theories and technology gave way to movements in the art world (as a photographer, that’s kind of shameful on my part), and especially it shows into looking into theatre as related to the clips we saw on Tuesday. I really enjoyed the lecture. I got a better understanding of the Baroque movement and the ideals of creating a ‘controlled nature’; it dumbfounds me that technology had a HUGE part to the movements. Someone definitely hit me with a stupid stick before coming to UT.

What I expect from the class is more so of a personal growth. After I go and get a masters degree not too far off after I get my bachelors, I really would like to enter the art world and I feel so before I do I need to have a better understanding of the contemporary world before I step into it. In taking this class, just from the first day, I firmly believe I’ll understand the world I want to enter into someday. I only have a somewhat brief knowledge of the classical masters and that of some of the modern artists that have shaped the world now like Pollack and Warhol vs. that of contemporary artists in this day and age. So from this class I really do expect to learn a lot about the world now and how technology makes the contemporary art world go round through it’s evolution and I’m really excited about this semester. I hope to get outside of my creative box and find new ways to express myself and importantly, I can’t wait for the interesting discussions and commentary we’ll have in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment