Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sex, Love, Murder, Suicide, Prostitution, What Does Opera Not Have?




Wow, yesteday's class… I'm still speechless (we saw a piece of Madame Butterfly whoo! I was so excited; I’ve made my decision, I’m so writing my paper on that opera, I mean it was an obvious one yes?)

Seeing the pieces of all those operas and the Aria film seemed to take hold of all emotional capacity within my soul. I mean Mozart’s works was as powerful, but somehow the operas just sent a huge strike into my heart; especially the part of the Aria film with the couple. In the beginning, you’re trying to tie in the composition into the film and you’re watching, waiting… I was expecting it to have been a memory or something tragic would happen to the couple, or a car accident Possibly. Your trying to get your mind around it, then it was that moment in the bath… I thought for a few seconds he had killed her, then to my surprise, wrists + blood, and even now that was still a shocking moment that was hard to endure.

Although cutting is such a common thing seen in art forms and in various media, it still makes me squemish. It puts me in a situation that as someone who knew someone who used to do that, it hit home completely and I felt the pain for those first seconds. Not just the emotional pain of seeing someone you love hurt themselves, but the piece of glass cutting into my skin and I felt so nauseated and wanted to just cry. I Have that say that small film used the music completely appropriately, especially if you know the tune and are sitting, listening to it thinking ‘ok, that’s going to happen next’ then you see that particular moment and your whole world just falls apart because it’s such an intimate moment that turned into something so dark, but beautiful in a sense. Yes I am a freak and I like blood its pretty, but on a serious note, it reminds us of the sublime complexity of life and death. Death, although sad, is so beautiful. It is, you see these natures of people that come out is like an art form especially when it involves death. The one opera (Salome?) was having an intimate moment with John the Baptist’s head, yes it was gross and disturbing, but its that nature that is something we all consume in a way. I firmly believe everyone has a sadistic, sexually craved, murderous intent in them somewhere and a fond love of death. It’s a cruel outlook I know, but I believe some of us hide it better then others. I can say for myself I have so many personalities when it comes to my art, my personal life, my family life, my friend life.. it’s like when we watch opera, we connect by finding ourselves somehow and creating this connection we find a way to express that inner turmoil we try desperately to hide from the world, especially the person next to me. Especially Madame Butterfly, as I said before in my other post that one composition stuck in my head, and it was there again after just listening to it one more time. It’s so sublime (yes I love that word, it makes me feel intelligent), but it’s like an inner cord struck and your brought back to a place, or a memory. You become the character, and their words become yours, it was more than beautiful, I can’t even describe the words for it.

I wish I could type more to it, but I guess the pieces became more of an, emotional therapy for me. It has been a long time since I really appreciate art by just observing and watching, so I think i'll go find a copy of Madame Butterfly, and a bunch of the other operas and just have a night to watch them all… Well the show must go on, now unto Broadway!

Oh yes one last thing incase any of you would like to see, I got bored while looking up things on Youtube, and I found this niffty animation of 'Madame Buttefly'. Its from a film Called "Aria" by Pjotr Sapegin (not the same one we saw in class just so you know). In the beginning I thought it was a parody since it was done with figures (obviously been watching too much robot chicken), but you continue on to realize it was an adaptation of the opera in a really interesting way.

Just click here to watch the short film.

No comments:

Post a Comment