Monday, May 4, 2009

Video Art Piece "A.D.D. H.D."

Here is my 3 Minute Video Art Piece:



The video is called “A.D.D HD” although ironically, the images are not in HD; they are imported into a lower quality, with a mixture of high quality and low quality audio. The images are a mixture of importing with loss of quality and physically manipulation using IMovie and creating the audio in (so the image quality is supposed to suck incase your not sure).

What I had done was record a video error I found out by creating using my HDTV and my projecting cord I use to hook my mac to the TV. I then recorded 3 minutes of that and letting it go to stand by so it would record the default loading screen of the TV and also physically used my hair in front of the monitor. After that I went into IMovie and used the brightness, contrast, colors, and all of those functions to create a “visual painting”. Like many of the video art we had seen in class, I wanted to try to use the “errors” and create paintings, which in the end I ended up recreating images similar to that of Monet’s sunset images, in the dynamic use of color palette, to try to assimilate the idea I was going for. Some parts of the film were recorded off the TV while filming, then imported to the ipod, recorded from the ipod, then recorded from the television screen through the projector thing in my mac and so on.

The audio was all done by recording 4 different audio tracks and layering them on top, one was a weird gurgle noise, one vocal as a conversation of a stupid girl complaining about a boyfriend or something similar, a stereotype, another one of me making fun of myself and my speech. All three of those tracks were physically edited so they would differ in sound bytes. Then the fourth voice was just my normal voice, which if you tried to listen, was basically a “you have no idea what I'm saying because all you see is imagery and the fact my voice cant be heard” which is the whole point of the piece. It would not matter what was being said, the images would be all you see. Yes you can hear the voices and vocals, but because there all going at a mile a minute and blended together, it doesn’t matter what is being said, but what is seen.

Importantly, it’s all about the ideal that our professor was talking about we live in an ADD generation that we are obsessed with imagery.

6 comments:

  1. cool video piece. you definitely explored what the medium can do. good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin you did a great job with you video. I liked the visual effects and colors, and how everything fitted together and transformed into this great video. You did really great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really cool and seemed to have a alot of influences from the videos we watched for the quiz. good job interesting take on the video art concept

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your video was great! It reminded me a lot of the films we watching in class! It was an awesome piece! Really good job! I liked the way you used your hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you always come up with the most creative ideas. you def. need to continue with your art because u are so talented. amazing video and the effects were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your art projects are probably the most creative ones we have in class, and i say that as a good thing. you are so good at what you do, and i really enjoyed watching your art project. recording your painting and your hair, it looked awesome.

    ReplyDelete