Monday, May 4, 2009

Performance Art Piece

I apologize for not having any images, i've waited in enough time (no offence gals for not putting the pics up, it's really ok and to everyone who want's pics, but i'm sure you guys remember, i was the crazy person running through the halls with a big green record on my head) SADLY not that hard to forget.

My performace art was supposed to be a bit more complicated, but the pieces I had made so impermant a lot of it just fell off quicker than expected. Originally the idea was to make these layers, a layer of cassette tapes, cd’s and of course the big kimono of recrods. They were going to be destroyed, but as a lover of music I couldn’t bring myself to do it so I had to kinda fake it I guess (why they were velcro-ed on the kimono). Originally each layer would be removed differently, the first would be kinda slow because it was supposed to be artsy (like how people view records, it’s a taboo to ruin them, but no one wants them), then the tapes kinda rough, but a bit artsy, then the cds would be destroyed) along with the hat and stuff I was wearing so the adhesive would settle in and get used to it working, then everything really fell aprt too quick… uber uh oh, so I told myself “just go with what you’ve got, not to bulls- it , but improvise.. like shannel in Ru Paul's Drag Race go for it right?

So my whole idea was about how I am with technology I can rant about how grat it s,but lets be honest how many of us really care about reacods, sure don’t break them, but yet you won't buy them? So it's about the throw away idea of it, once its used and gone that’s it, its no longer pretty. Why at the end I picked up everything and threw it in the trash, its over its done its gone… no more use because I'm finished with it. Which is how I am sometimes with my own stuff, once I'm done its overwith. Like my headphones, cd players, I am the epitamny of the whole throw away society we life in.

Instead I went with my gut and the music and did something random, I liked how it came off.. It's this spontaneous thing about music and art… so even though it was last minute planning, it all worked out and I’m very happy some people liked it so yay for my odd ideas…

So now because of the project, I buy recrods… I mean now I have flashdance, the fixx, phill collins, even grace jones, barry manilow, the motion picture soundtrack to cabaret, and yes I have a record player at home my mom is going to fix and I'm going to take it… there is something wonderful about records, and this sensation that cd’s can’t bring y’know. So I officially am a record junkie, my father said I can have his old Beatles records, even the Jesus Christ Super Star album YAYS (he has the original broadway cast too)! And my mom said I could have her stuff too (which I have always wanted to listen to). So in the end i learned a great lesson from it myself on how i treat the things i do. Plus it inspired me to want to do several self portraits with stuff like that. So I'm going to work on that stuff soon...

2 comments:

  1. your performance piece was great! i really liked your use of records and the sheet! you look trapped, and i feel that way all the time by technology. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought your performance art piece was really cool. very creative and great use of all the cd's and records. that costume must have taken alot of work.

    ReplyDelete