Monday, February 9, 2009

PHOTOGRAPHY.... WHOOO!!!!


I want to scream OH MY GOD, but I can’t I'd look like a loony, but then again when aren’t I? Seriously. I’m so excited to hear about photography in our class last Tuesday, since I am a Photo major and a lover of film especially. I’m not a big film buff, but I love movies. Sometimes I become seriously analytical about stuff its sad really. I really enjoyed this class so far, even though I know a lot of people we’re bored (no offence guys) but I was excited to watch old films. I mean from everything from the daguerreotype to the brownie camera created by Kodak, I love all of that stuff. My favorite artist was not just of Dali and all the other people I have mentioned before (if I did), but I am a real big fan of Edward Curtis (incase for those of you who don’t know, he photographed images of Native Americans out west during the late 19th century – early 20th century). Photography is really great, even the films we watched (ha! I’m sorry old films are awesome, to us thee may come off extremely kitschy and boring, but it was they were their entertainment back then (It forces you to go back and look at what humor and ‘sexy’ was back then). I think its really neat the imagery of the brothels and speakeasies and all of the ‘underground stuff’ it is so nostalgic and really wonderful (well to me anyhow), and also in general what was being photographed. To me it was so enthralling; it makes you want to think also about Matthew Brady’s images he took during the civil war and the ones he had took of Abe Lincoln. How can you not feel liberated in the sense this is the closest you’ll ever be to a deceased president who didn’t exist during your time? It’s very cool to… well to me, it really got me all giddy and all that flowery unicorn, Hello Kitty puked everywhere feeling (and its good not bad, I assure you, but I’ve always wondered that age old question… what does Hello Kitty’s puke look like? Well, maybe perhaps we’ll find out some day).

Also Edweard Muybridge (every time I see him now I just think about all the interactions all these influential people had in the world of photography and even in art and documentary in general). It was great to hear Photography was acknowledged (last semester I heard someone say it wasn’t important to Art History at all and my jaw dropped) I felt a bad pain in my heart. Seriously, I was offended. Not just as a photographer, but as a lover of art.

Now unto my 200 frame animation! Fortunately, I thought of an idea after like 2 – 3 failed plans. Hopefully it’ll be successful, and I’ll get to do something really nifty I’ll be proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment