Monday, February 23, 2009

'I Heard Sh- On the Radio (I Remember The Days)' - Nelly Furtado

The title of the blog incase your wondering was a song that Nelly Furtado released back in 2002? 2003? sometime there and it wasn't one of her most popular ones, but It's one of my favorite songs from her 'Whoa Nelly!' Album.


Anyhow...WAR OF THE WORLDS HOY SH- THAT’S AWESOME!!! Ignore me that was so cool to listen to the actual radio recording. I mean that part where the reporter was broadcasting “500 meters, 400 –“ then to the part he dropped dead (or shot himself I might not have heard that right in case) still for an old recording it still has powerful impact.

Radio to me used to be a big influence on my life for years, that is until the radio stations played sucky music. I mean I like a lot of new music, of course how could I not, I love music. Plus having good friends who are musicians I often hear music and I’ve learned to have deep felt appreciate and just a like, and most of the time I have a like (why the only reason Britney Spears is useful) ahead of time, if I offend anyone with my rantings about who sucks and doesn’t I’m sorry, but I cant pretend I don’t). But I mean lets be honest a lot of music is just for the sake of listening, not appreciating.

I guess I really was into it when I was in the 6th grade… that was.. 10 years ago? Almost 10 years ago, (god saying that makes me feel so old and I’m only twice that). But I remember when Mandy Moore started coming into the scene and all this other junk, and I can remember Country Grammar when Nelly came out into the scene (I still have that song in my ipod, I can't help it, its one of those songs that bring you back to that time period and the radio really helped me remember those times and memories, the exact moments I heard it play for the first time and what video game I was playing at the moment) Yeah often I'd have my radio playing while playing my video game… Back then radio was really the best, it seems like since then it hasn’t been as… great. It’s become the same stuff over and over (since I am a techno and dance freak and that stuff is a lot more repetitive), but it’s more…. Like a broken record that often you hear a tiny scratch noise in a different spot so often, but it’s like… even then it’s still the same thing… Since then I really haven’t turned on a radio since.

I mean during the night while I’m up and after I leave the Television on, I’ll catch music videos on VH1 (I’m sorry MTV sucks now, I grew up watching Beavis and Butthead and when Daria used to come on but nooo kill the good shows, I mean even rock of love and all those dumb reality shows are more interesting, yes I watch them. Stupidity helps me to concentrate believe it or not seriously). I mean VH1 is just as bad but at least its tolerable music) but MTV3 looks really cool, I have to say (I’ve heard of it and had no idea how really interesting it was especially after seeing David Grad speak that one afternoon). I mean I’ve lost reason for it. A lot of the music or anything I find out is strictly off of Youtube, from my friends or if I catch the song while watching T.V. shows, etc, that’s the extent, or when I buy compilation dance disks, but that’s really it.

HOWEVER, I must say trips back and forth to Key West I have made this year, my best friend has to be.. oh I forgot the station, but they play 80’s and 90’s music and that makes me so happy. Plus in printmaking when we’re working, all my classmates agree to just have this one station splay… now for me 80s music sounds best on the radio, no matter if you have it on an ipod or not it just… doesn’t have that quality where you feel like your hair is super frizzed up and that Flock of Seagulls hair do, the clothes, oh yes and the eyeliner, ah the 80’s. But I mean the radio to me brought that time back, although I was a baby during the 80’s (I only got to live through the last 2 years) still it majorly impacted my life. I remember listening to the radio since I was a kid and I was always carrying a mini radio or I always had to have a portable radio with me somehow, I always carried a small pink bag that had the little mermaid on it that had cassette tapes up the wazzu in it.

Plus I never realized how impacted it made a long time ago, that wasn’t until I watched HAIRSPRAY and finally getting to see DreamGirls (which if you haven’t GO RENT IT! It’s awesome and Jennifer Hudson is totally off the hook, I mean I knew how she sounded, but wow she was totally amazing In that movie), but seeing how what was heard really impacted people, and all that tragic events occurring behind the scenes of pirating and copying… You don’t realize these things until you see them in person and it’s really tragic we’re loosing something so tragic and wonderful at the same time.

Its’ really sad I don’t rely on that as much anymore… it’s like a great part of me died I can’t get back… so hopefully somehow I find a way to get it back into my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment