Monday, March 2, 2009

Television Pt. I (Video games, and all that other lovely stuff)

Oh Television, what can I say about Television? Television to me is my gateway to pop culture influences. I am a true realty TV show junkie, I watch all the dating shows, drama shows, and all that. Television has always been my best friend (well ok my best friend first of course), but I remember turning on the TV to catch all my favorite cartoons, the original teenage mutant ninja shows, Bucky O’Hare (its actually this child’s cartoon that was adapted from an adult comic book? Go figure). Ah the good old days. I miss that.

Since actually I have a bit more to say about Television, and the Ru Paul’s Drag Race show which is (OFF THE HOOK), will be on the lovely PT 2 of this small blog series about Television.


But the part about Video games, I’m such a dork and a nerd I still play them. I mean while watching the video I couldn’t help but smile I mean I loved to play space invaders, I still have the old Game Boy Color vers. And my game boys to play them. Of course I have all of those games still, no really I do. I have the original Pokémon blue and red versions… somewhere at my home in Key West. I love old school video game systems; I still like the old SNES, and my N64. All the Zelda games I used to play, my parents we’re even into it. I remember my mom telling me how her and my father used to make maps of the very first Zelda game; I mean how awesome is that? So VG’s have been a huge part of my life I owned almost all the systems, except the XBOX, I’ve never been a fan of that or Sega CD, or the dreamcast… wow I never realized I dint a bunch of systems. I however did get all of Sony’s and the Nintendo’s branch of systems, I couldn’t help it.

But the ps3 sucks. I know that’s blunt, but it has horrible crashes, now like most people who buy video games, sometimes when it doesn’t work, a lil bit of physical violence? Seems to help. However it didn’t. It broke while my brother loaded that stupid Metal Gear Solid game (I have a fond hate for that game, please don’t ask, but this VR missions game was cool though, but snake annoys me. Then again I am a chick, plus I’m old school RPG type of girl). So we didn’t do anything to it, it just froze. We found out its reader is broken and we could send it in, but we got it as a gift and you can’t do anything with a receipt… and I forgot how much it was, but it was better to find a new one. I have a hate for them, I prefer my ps2 anyhow. I mean, it doesn’t seem like a long ago I used to have my old school game boy pocket, with all these small fish stickers with a super Mario game. Now I have the wii with the super smash brothers’ game and legend of Zelda. I mean, it makes me feel REALLY old; I’m only 20 but still. That’s pathetic.

However, I must say video games are my main source for inspiration. I mean one of my favorite artists came from creating Video Game designs. For those of us who have played a lot of the Final Fantasy games (no not Tetsuya Nomura, he’s great, but he’s not as cool as this other one). His name is Yoshitaka Amano; he does these very great whimsical art pieces that are just so beautiful. I can say he really inspired the line artwork I do today. Next to the classical artists I have grown to admire, he’s one of my favorites. He did a lot of concept work for Final Fantasy VII, VIII, even Final Fantasy X and X2. I can say though Tetsuya Nomura is really great too, I love the work he did for FFVII: Advent Children (which is the CG animated feature that’s the sequel to Final Fantasy VII), although the plotline sucks, the animation for that movie I really love. Why I had to buy it just for that sake alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment