Friday, March 6, 2009

The Nerds and Google


So we watched the last episode of the nerd series thing. Although Steve Jobs was a total... a-hole, its sad to say but those a-holes are the people who really set standards in the world. So I know to my classmates he was getting monotonous in his “Mac was better when I was in it” and his cocky attitude, but it's those people you have to admire in a sense. Although that attitude is standoffish, he got Mac where it was until he left. Sure he kept them from making rounds, I respect him for getting it on its feet at least. So you have to respect him for that. It’s like this question my psychology professor from last sem brought up the idea of behaviors and personalities of icons that have shaped our world. As much as the people you want to respect, a lot of them have flaws that make them human or ‘bad’ but we tend to ignore them because of their status. So that didn’t bother me, let him be arrogant. Yes? But it’s cool that whole bit with the GUI all starting with a Xerox ‘computer’. That’s spiffy and the whole idea of the competition between the companies, to me, when the market is in major competition, is when you know progress wants to be made. It’s like that thing with war they say, humans are instinctively drawn to it, it’s even more amazing to know that computers all started on the concept. So I can agree with Jobs in a lot of ways ‘Good artists copy, great artists steal’. Gotta admit he’s got a good point there.

As for the Google boys thing. It’s funny, I use Google on a daily basis, mostly for images because it’s one of the best photo engines (copyrighted imagery or not), I mean I use photo bucket and etc, but for a long time I still use Google. I never realized the impact the search engine had on the entire world and how they began those annoying ads next to your searches. In a way though, they are incredibly useful, and the logic behind the ideas. I thought the documentary was really good. It helped me really understand how those two guys made a fortune. How they sent bots through the web through links and links and links to update the sites related to the query. It’s sad you don’t realize how great some things are because it’s convenient, and you don’t understand the workings behind it, so I got a bit of more of an appreciation of Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment