Thursday, March 5, 2009

SPAM! WHO DOESN'T LOVE SPAM?!



I went to see Spamalot tonight, (well last night since it is now Friday), but still I’m considering it tonight because it’s still nighttime. It was totally fabulous! Richard Chamberlain was awesome as King Arthur! It was the best gift ever (since it was a birthday gift from my mom since she knew I have always loved the film, which it’s based off of (for those of you don’t know it) Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The entire cast was fabulous! I mean every song was catchy; all of the performers truly played their part. I loved the most how they kept a lot of the monologue that made the film iconic as it was. I take back what I said about it kind of being the ‘kitschy’ thing that people don’t know what made it a Broadway musical, even though I’d love it anyhow. It went beyond the ‘for entertainments sake’ Yes it is mostly a humor show, but it incorporated a lot of current events, the costume design, set design, music, everything. Plus it was ‘directed’ by Mike Nichols who of course is one of my favorite directors. Of course he did Working girl (I love that movie). I mean the technology in the show made you feel like you watching or were part of the film. Of course they changed some parts, but I mean it extends into a lot of folklore and mythology about the medieval ages with King Arthur, and all that stuff. It was funny as hell, and if it weren’t for my work I’d go again, it was an experience I will never forget for all of my life. It’s sad it’s having its final run, but it was worth seeing. The stage became an installation piece on it’s own. A kind hat the experience changes with each show, for that one for me it became that. That night, the stage lighting; everything. It was fun, joyful, playful, and had a lot of current jokes. I couldn’t help but laugh the entire play, the voice of the ‘lady of the lake’ wow she can sing, she had the most beautiful vocal range I have ever heard (ok that’s second actually for reasons, I still have a favorite and that one person is staying there, no mater who comes following). Sir Robin and Lancelot, god there are a group, I mean you can’t help but laugh at all the jokes, no matter if it was geared to make fun of Lancelot’s sexuality, and sexual gestures, cracks at Richard Chamberlin, the infamous ‘octomom’; It was great. The interaction seen between the actors, the orchestra pit, and the audience by acknowledging their attendance really enhanced the show as a whole (I’m trying not to reveal a lot, but it was just wonderful, I’m happy I got to experience such a great show!).

So I def recommend the show, if you’ve seen the film or not, it’s great. I’m so getting the soundtrack in a few days. Perhaps, I’ll even watch the film later… I miss watching seeing the evil rabbit (who mind you if you’ve seen it at the theatre, oh my god, I want a killer rabbit! I’ll name it fluffy and sick it on people! Ok maybe not everyone (I’m a horrible liar so I suggest you remember that) I’m kidding though, ok maybe not but still I love how they interpreted everything and made it into a sketch about criticizing the film in it’s own on a hilarious level, and stories we’ve grown up to love. Plus it gave way to creating controversy, the best things do. I mean of course I do have a conservative taste when it comes to certain things, but I mean if it’s done in a tasteful way. The comments, jokes, songs, all enhanced it being somewhat controversial, but it was just great. I’m a bit saddened I didn’t get the chance to see Tim Curry (who was just SOOOO GREAT as Dr. Frankenfurter in Rocky Horror Picture Show), still I loved it and it was something I have been waiting for since I heard my mom was getting me tickets. It was like it happened so suddenly, and it all flowed consistently when they changed the scenes and even into the Acts. Neither Act was more important than the other, I mean it evolved through the plotline, but it was very consistent in its moods and feels. I’m really happy this was my first Broadway play, I’m even more grateful to have the chance to experience such an amazing cast who I enjoyed each character no matter who was in the scene. I love even more this was my first Broadway show I have ever seen. I’m just so enthralled I’m still hyper from seeing the show. I can’t wait until we go see another one! I’m so stoked and happy I went to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment