Sunday, April 19, 2009

DADISM, Marcel Duchamp, and Man Ray


I promised I’d catch up with posts about each class and the classmate comments, except I don’t have the picys yet so I’ll get on that as soon as I get them.

Anyhow, I guess I need to get back to the surrealists, Dada, Man Ray and Marcel Duchamp (who by the way is a f-ing genius, I’m sorry L.H.O.O.Q still makes me giggle, god that man is loony-bird x 10000 but I adore him so much for that. That iconic mustache has gone so far, it’s amazing. Especially this image I found of him playing chess on wiki):


Something about it is very earthlike, for such un-human artists they bring this earthly idea, which I’ll get into here a few seconds.

I’m sorry, this was a marking of the best part of the class. This second half had gotten better and better. If I was true to keeping up with the blogs, every other blog would have been “best class ever!” or something lame like that. I love surrealism, I grew up looking at Salvador Dali and falling in love with the persistence of Memory, Duchamp’s fountain and nude descending the stairs (which I can’t help but crack a giggle when I see that image of the fountain by Alfred Stieglitz). The Dadaists I couldn’t help but crack at the images running through the documentary of them in suits, having a good time. The idea of anti-artists still to this day fascinates me… The black and white images, the urinal used as a fountain, all of it has this deeper context that you can’t put on traditional art, as beautiful and fantastic as it is, its more down to earth and helps us all find a way to relate to the art world.

Man Ray, as a photographer I knew only so much about It’s sad on my part because I have a bad problem, I know pieces visually, not titles. I’m horrible with titles, but still, I knew his name not his body of work very well. But still the ray-o-graphs… I love doing those in the photo studio, the idea of creating someone out of something else is something we all artists want t do… the DADA artists helped me pass that this year. Especially the collage, I loved doing that. It was challenging, but it’s a piece I will always have an adoration for, even if years down the road I’ll be like “THAT F—SUCKED WHY DID I LIKE THAT?!” it came from a place where I never knew existed. So this class helped me push myself, and made me miss smelling the acids and chemicals in the photo room… I haven’t taken a photo class in so long, worked on black and white photos, seeing Duchamp’s work made me miss that. I am a majoring in photo so of course “omg photographer” but its like with the other mediums, its this attachment where if your gone you miss it like your lover you need it to live and breathe, and I guess I’ve realized I’ve become more rounded I like everything so since I'm in the studio constantly with painting and printmaking I feel ok and its it’s a great feeling that unless you do art can truly say, I mean if its your passion you can agree it's a similar sensation. I just mean, unless you do it, there is something unique about hands-on art forms that always makes me feel at home, and safe and secure. Like a security blanket, no matte if there is a tear in the cover, I feel protected. The artists in this time period, no matter how complex and unsafe it was, and avant garde, it still is like a safety blanket for me, I feel safe in this place. I place I consider home.

No comments:

Post a Comment