Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Electronics Alive V: Christina Hung


Christina Hung was really fun to listen to. As an art major, hearing printmaking terms was like “I totally get that”, and it was great for her to associate the arts with biological study. Especially when she said if you contaminate the subject, it’s like in printmaking with lithography (which I have finally done in printmaking and it’s/… as task, but the results come out really lovely! I need to finish my plate and start on my big one for printmaking, which I’m soo glad I can do bigger scale work… it’s still a big scar monster, but I’m getting better with it and it’s a good feeling!). I felt that was the best thing how she integrated the uses of two mediums to create a work of art. Since most of the time, science is mostly associated with the arts in the case of photography (from what I know), s to see a woman mind you incorporate science and art, is really great. Her and Cynthia Lawson, both are just really amazing. I loved Christina Hung’s idea of making the vector maps with the germs, it was. Very ironic in a lot of ways, and using a voice with her work. The American vectors were so clean, but showed a good point about the war, no matter how clean or concise, its a dieasease, a germ, an infestant that continues to grow and contaminate. Even the aftermath of how the germs contaminate the whole dish. This is how war works, and it sure as hell ain't anything you want to be near... especially in the aftermath no matter what happens.

Even more so I enjoyed the hearing about her “flaws” and mess-ups, there’s this human ideal to when artists make mistakes. The masters you can’t help but be in awe and feel no piece has a problem, but like Chris Valle says, all pieces have a flaw and live I’ve always done with the masters I find them and still appreciate it. Her story about how the piece was infected because of the brick, and I thought it was hilarious and such a normal mistake we all make. I love hearing from intelligent women who are into the arts, I mean so far a lot of women minus a few and Cynthia I know are just so… stupid? And “omg I can paint” egh… I like a fun girl, but no… so to me again it was great seeing women who have a mind, a concept, and a like/love for what they do… If I didn’t get back into the arts I was planning on being a marine biologist I have a love for science as well… even the idea of mixing chemicals, I would love to do that. So maybe in the future I’ll explore that more in graduate school, or even here in Tampa, who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment