Wednesday, April 8, 2009

HOLY SHI-!!!!!! MOTHER OF GOD SHE'S BACK!

I know I haven’t bloged in ages, too much going on lately, but I promise I’ll catch up! It’s been a very challenging few weeks, but I’m so catching up on blogs this weekend.

So I finally caught up with watching Ru Paul’s Drag race, which wooow, uber fabulous ending. I’m so happy to know it was Bebe who had won. I love Nina flowers, I mean I watched the reunion show and I couldn’t help but laugh when he said “pete burns was one of her influences” HA! To me that’s this huge inside joke because I love Dead or alive, and even though all the sex changes… uhm.. yeah. But I still like him for who he is a as an artist y’know. I mean you spin me round and brand new lover, c’mon how can you not love those songs? God, now I want to play that song since it’s permanently in my ipod. But the finale, those two totally rocked it. I love Nina’s outfits and her transformation. As a woman of ethnicity (yes I am, I'm 1/16 Cherokee, 50% Irish and a whole bunch of other European blood I lost track after soo many wow) I think its empowering seeing Latin and African-American ethnicities in the mix of drag queens. Even though there was cattiness and all that drama (which is more exciting on here, than on top model, honestly that’s gotten old now. I stopped watching the seasons a long time ago), there's this sense of even no matter what they want each other to succeed deep down inside because of discrimination. It’s admirable, especially to see such a mix of different individuals. It was good for Ru Paul to do something like that. Truly. Ongina, Nina Flowers, Bebe, I mean those three really made an impact on me personally. Not just personalities and the tragedies that empowered them to keep going, but their fashion sense and everything. It makes me sad about what has been going on school with our professor. I mean, how can you really honestly have a problem with anyone whose gay? I have a lot of good friends that are bisexual (I don’t have any straight friends, no I'm not kidding, I used to but they were annoyed I got along with bisexual friends and liked them...well I do have one but he’s more of an acquaintance, but is that a good thing?). Hell, I like my bisexual friends; they’re more real and open to a lot more things. They’ve been through a lot in their lives to know their way. I respect them so much. So I thought that kind of attack was somewhat personal to me too because whether or not you agree with their lifestyles, their people too. That sounds uber cliché, but its true. I may be straight, but for a lot of homosexual, bisexual, whatever it may be, their lives are always going to paved with difficult road, same with minorities, certain ethnic groups, women, etc. …Having good friends suffer because of such stupid things, like class, lifestyle, religion… you can’t help but feel obligated to stand up and say something. Even if it’s a small blog ranting about the problems of people being pushed under he ground of because of someone having a problem with nudity and homosexuality in public view.

Anyhow, other than my rant that whoever that person who made that comment was a complete dumba--, it’s been a challenging few weeks for me personally. Trying to take care of myself, problems, and family stuff, y’know basic everyday drama. Still, I’m trying my hardest to keep up with my artwork and work on at home projects, even though that’s almost impossible because now my artwork is literally thrown into schoolwork. It’s still weird for me. Why? Well when I was in Key West, although I like the fact I grew up on an island, because I wasn’t a true traditionalist and stuck in this box they have back home, I had to force myself to confine all the elements that made how I am (even though I don’t have a particular style, I do have things I love to do, I love to incorporate patterns in my work, that has always been something that is dear to me. I love checkered patterns, tiles on walls, wallpapers, anything that has a geometric pattern or not. Probably why I’m a huge fan of Japanese Woodblock prints since they have so many in the details of the kimonos.) So the work I did at home versus the work I did for school was literally two identities. Not in a good way, since I have three that come out when I do writing, drawing, or painting. I never use the same colors, same intensities in the work, subject matter… I cant there’s something blocking that? But I would like to be better at what I do. Since I went to the junior review, I’ve been trying hard to push my artwork a lot further, and work on big scales (tg for Chris Valle, I have not worked in big mediums ever, since a lot of my other classes its general letter size or smaller and our proff forcing us to use a big poster board, it made me want to go really big, even though I wanted to do a huge cube anyhow), however, that’s not the only reason. Big canvases scare me in a lot of ways. I’m so used to assuming when I go a big canvas it has to be a collage or something of a sort since I feel. However, with the passing of the DADA collage, that was a big medium for me, and I’m proud I did work I’m proud of. When I was in key west my work was mediocre, only a few things I liked the professor respected, so I’m glad to be around professors who are willing to help you if you need it and not shun you away because your tired at staring at a really fat female nude (yeah a big thing back home is a nude of a very… ‘Voluptuous woman I don’t have a problem with it, but when you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all). So I’ve been going as big as I can, work as far as I can and push as much as I can. I would really like to be able to do my work and me comfortable with them. So with that, projects, assignments whoo… tg summers around the corner. But really though, I’m glad, as strenuous as it is I can push my real serious work into my work at school, and at least be a bit appreciated for it. It’s a wonderful feeling, although it comes with a lot of animosity from several people, still… in the end it’s worth it because as n artist I can feel everything growing. Whether or not were watching films on drag queens, or even when I'm listening to how to work imovie. I feel like I have a lot broader horizon to explore, and I’m really thankful for the opportunity to get better at what makes me happiest the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment