Monday, April 20, 2009

Electronics Alive V: Cynthia Lawson


So I finally got off my but to do a blog about Electronics alive (the next several will be, so that way I’ve caught up to making the blogs I’ve needed to A.S.A.P but I’m almost caught up thankfully… I think I’m almost back to pretty good par so... yays for me!).

So Cynthia Lawson… as a woman I was really excited, for the first time (with a huge exception to my mother), I found a woman artist I can relate to (this whole semester it’s been easy to relate to other women considering I don’t. It’s not that I’m alien, but not. Like a lot of the women my age or in general who are into prim and proper fashionistas, hell I watch project runway, heavily into bob Mackie (who is divine by the way) know labels, designers, but it’s not my life… even women artists before me, photographers, painters, even Berthe Morisot, I just... I couldn’t connect wit her, even through the intimacy of her imagery… it was hard. So Cynthia really helped me feel connected for the first time to other women who are not related. Especially how she implemented photography (she sooo got bonus points for that, like how Christina Hung for hers too.. yes I'm just that nice). But, to me seeing her work was a modernized version of the old technology of a black and white camera, her imagery of these places where people gather, formed into ‘blurs’ like as in how motion blurs work with documenting movement and time. Her images, compositionally were outstanding, I loved them. I would see her shows, and she made me want to work on my motion blur (which I suck at) still, I was heavily inspired after that speech.

Seeing her videos of her do the one thing a day, helped me do my performance art. I was never a person who was comfortable with my body, so seeing another woman just do her art, no matter how ‘unkempt’ she looked, she went and exposed herself to the outside world suing technology and measuring the moments in time… as a woman and an artist, I really grew from seeing her…

No comments:

Post a Comment